[Massplanners] Outdoor Dining Process & Oversight Questions

Bernard Cahill bcahill at shrewsburyma.gov
Tue Aug 24 09:31:22 EDT 2021

Good morning everyone,

Shrewsbury is looking to streamline and clarify some of our regulations
around outdoor dining (with service, not just seating) for a post-COVID
world. We would really appreciate some help with answering any or all of
the following questions as we continue to collect more information:

   - What level and/or type of review is required for outdoor dining in
   your municipality? Special Permit or Site Plan? Planning Board, ZBA, or
   Administrative Site Plan Review?

   - What kind of application materials are required for outdoor dining?
   Engineered Site Plans etc.?

   - Does 3-season outdoor seating factor into calculating the minimum
   required number of parking spaces for a restaurant?

   - Is outdoor seating allowed to occupy existing parking spaces and, if
   yes, how is it regulated?

Many thanks in advance for any replies!

Best,

*Bernard Cahill*