[Massplanners] Definition of 'Dead-end Streets'?

DAVID ROBBINS robbins.dave at verizon.net
Tue Aug 17 09:57:04 EDT 2021

Here’s how Grafton defines a dead end street:

> Street, Dead-End:  A street, extension of a street, or system of streets connected to another street at one (1) point only.  Any proposed street which intersects with a dead-end street shall be deemed to be an extension of the dead-end street.

We did some review not too long ago about how other towns define it; our definition is similar or identical to a number of other towns, but some leave it rather more vague.

One potential point of confusion are regulations about dead end streets that refer to a turnaround at the end, which can be interpreted as implying that only a cul-de-sac (the typical single street with a turnaround at the end) is included in the definition. We are currently updating our regs to explicitly distinguish between a cul-de-sac and the broader concept of an arbitrarily complex street network with a single connection to an existing way, the most common example of which would be a “lollipop” configuration (the loop you mention). Our update adds a definition for cul-de-sac and applies turnaround regulations specifically to a cul-de-sac so as to avoid potential confusion.

David Robbins
Grafton Planning Board