[Massplanners] Historic Preservation Tax Incentives

Aiu, Imaikalani aiu.i at westonma.gov
Mon Aug 2 09:16:28 EDT 2021

Hello,
The Town of Weston Planning Board is investigating ways to incentivize historic preservation as a way to diversify our housing stock. Our focus was initially on saving the few remaining estates in town by creation of a voluntary Historic Heritage Overlay Designation, which would allow for greater density and possible subdivision of large homes into smaller units (with design guidelines), using the Town's existing Flexible Subdivision by-law as a base. In our talks with homeowners, it seems however that tax relief is at the top of everyone's wish list.

Have other towns been able to give tax breaks for preservation of historic buildings? Our tax assessor doesn't consider that even houses with Preservation Deed Restrictions qualify for any tax reduction. Any examples to bolster our cause will be appreciated.

Imaikalani Aiu
Town Planner
Town of Weston
781-786-5065
www.weston.org/TownPlanner<http://www.weston.org/TownPlanner>
on behalf of:

ALICIA PRIMER
Weston Planning Board, chair
consultant to Weston Historical Commission